Zanillo's: Plane of Imagination
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prologue: Talvin Jaeland

Go down

Prologue: Talvin Jaeland Empty Prologue: Talvin Jaeland

Post  Zanillo Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 am

---"Jaeland?" The captain echoed, lowering his brow in confusion, "I never would have guessed your nobility by that armor. What are you doing applying here? Certainly your father could simply have you put in the ranks, and at a much higher station no doubt?"
---"Yes, he could, and offered to. I prefer to make my own. The way I see it the best man should have the job, how would anyone know that I'm the best man for the job unless I earn it like everyone else?" Talvin replied very seriously. The captain raised his brows, perhaps impressed, perhaps still in confusion.
---"Well alright son, but if something happens to you Lord Jaeland had better not take it out on me. He could have at least bought you some new armor. Go to the training hall and ask for Graden."
---Tal slammed his right fist over his heart and held it there, "Thank you sir, I assure you I take full responsibility for my decision." Then turned from the Captain's office and shut the door behind him. Captain John Jenkins just shook his head incredulously and leant forward to finish filing the paperwork for his newest recruit.

---"I'm looking for Graden." Talvin said when he entered the training hall where three of the local guardsmen were going over some basic sword drills. All three turned to look at the new-comer, one particularly veteran-looking warrior brandishing a longsword and a wooden shield spoke.
---"Aye, I'd be him. Who are you?"
---"I've just joined the guard, my name is-" The young man was cut short as Graden rushed him, using his shield to force Tal into a backpedal. Tal fumbled for his sword as he bumped into a training dummy, and the older guard slammed into him again, nearly knocking the younger man off his feet. Graden seized the opportunity and pulled his sword arm back for a great swing, Tal's empty hand reached out and grabbed the top of the shield and yanked it down while his sword hand came in, smashing his pummel into the other man's head. A space opened between them as they both stepped back to regain their footing.
---"What are you doing?!" Tal yelled drawing his smaller blade with his other hand and lifting it threateningly.
---Graden was still wincing from the blow to his forehead, but he had a grin on his face, "Always keep your guard up lad, the streets are dangerous around here. If you're going to be my new partner I need to know what your made of. Come on then!"
---Tal nodded and took a quick stride forward, swinging first a horizontal slash with the scimitar in his right then a downward chop with the kukri. Graden blocked both and sent them out wide with a swing of his shield, using his momentum to spin he slammed the flat of his sword against Tal's kidneys, causing him to step back again growling in pain.
---This time Tal circled, and Graden kept his shield ready. Tal took a step forward, but Graden didn't flinch for the feint. Continuing the circle, Tal made sure he didn't line Graden up with the weapon rack and came forward sweeping his scimitar low for the knees. Graden dropped, using his shield to block at the feint and swung his sword around the side for a counter attack, but Tal had already leapt up and over his ducking opponent, using the backside of his kukri to land another headshot as he twisted in the air to land on his feet.
---Graden turned to look Tal (who was grinning) in the eye, rubbing his head with the forearm of his sword hand and nodding his approval. "I may have underestimated you, time to step it up a notch lad." Then he shook his head once and got back into ready position, and again Tal took the initiative stepping forward, but this time Graden rushed forward with the shield bash catching the younger fighter mid stride. As he struggled to maintain his balance Graden landed a solid sword blow to his calf, causing him to further stumble. Graden followed this up with another mighty slam from his shield and then struck his pommel against Tal's shoulder.
---Tal tried to get his feet back under him but couldn't keep up with the onslaught, Graden's next backhand with his studded wooden shield rendered the newest member of the guard unconscious.

Last edited by Zanillo on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zanillo
Zanillo
Admin

https://zanillo.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Prologue: Talvin Jaeland Empty Glenendale Ave

Post  Zanillo Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:29 pm

---The next day Graden and Talvin rested, allowing the worst of their sparring injuries to fade as well as using the time to chat.
---"I just couldn't keep up with you. You overwhelmed me so easilly." The younger man had said, his pride more wounded than his head.
---"It wasn't that easy lad. Don't be too hard on yourself, no amount of training compares to real experience, and I've been in the force for eight years. Once you've been as many scuffles as I have I think you'll be a far better fighter than I am now. Besides, you ain't the only one with a goose egg on his head. I've been meaning to ask you lad, how did you even pull that move off?"
---Talvin smiled, grateful to have such a great mentor. "Thank you sir. Well, before I was allowed to learn swordplay my father made me learn dancing, telling me it would make me a better warrior. So I did... and it did, I guess."
---"Ha! You guess?! I haven't seen anyone try that kind of artsy nonsense in a real fight and pull it off. You've got something special kid, and I intend to help you bring it out. And don't call me sir, we're partners now lad, that means equals in my books."

---Over the next few weeks Graden trained Talvin in proper law enforcement techniques as well as a few tricks-of-the-trade that he had picked up during his years of service. Most of it was on the job training, while they did their patrol routes. Talvin learned a lot that first week, and maybe even more during the next as he showed himself capable of dealing with the basic situations. He learned the layout oand personalities of the local neighborhoods. He became aquainted with the locals, business owners, home owners and beggars alike. He noticed that Graden seemed to enjoy everything from giving a traveller directions to helping an old farmer load his cart. Talvin didn't really mind those kind of activities, but what he really longed for was a chance to test his blade in the service of justice.
---Then one day, he did.
---As Graden and Talvin were finished up their last route, a stretch of cobblestone called Glenendale Ave, they heard a muffled cry of pain. They exchanged glances and Talvin eagerly drew his blade as they briskly jogged up the road. Two men stood at the entrance of an alley between a tailor's shop and a seedy tavern, smoking a pipe. The bearded one of them greeted the guards loudly, "Good evenin' officers," and then widening his eyes slightly at Tal's drawn blade, "Eh... might we be of some assistance to yeh?
---"Good eve sir, yes, did you hear anything out of sorts a moment ago?" Graden asks, stepping to one side to get a better line of sight down the dark alley. The tall man who hadn't spoke passed the pipe to the other and took a step forward into Graden's view.
---"Like what, sir?" He asks, sounding almost overly concerned.
---Before Graden could reply a loud curse was shouted from the darkness, "Ow! Fuck! He bit me!" At the same time, though with much less volume, a man's voice weakly called for help.
---The bearded man immediately threw the lit pipe at Tal's face and rushed into him, shoving them both out into the street. Tal managed to get his blade partway up and make a slight cut on the man's side, revealing leather armor beneath the man's clothes as well as drawing a small amount of blood.
---Beside him the taller one also shoved into Graden, who took only two steps back before he dug his heels in and shoved back with his shield giving him just enough space to get his sword out and ready.
---As soon as both parties had taken a few swings at eachother two men came from the alley, one stocky and one blond and quickly moved to flank Talvin, who dipped and weaved to stay out of the range of their clubs while still managing to land a few small nicks and cuts. Graden smashed his stocky opponent into the wall and off his feet and leapt to his partners aid, coming up from behind the blond haired man. The mugger turned to defend himself but the tip of Graden's sword plunged into his shoulder causing him to howl and drop his cudgel. Talvin lunged at the oportunity, spinning mid leap to avoid the other muggers' attacks and slamming his kukri into skull as he landed, dying half of his hair red.
---He paid for his aggressive maneuver though when he felt the stocky man's danger punch through his leather armor and into his back, and again when the bearded man's club struck him in the precise spot Graden's shield had those dozen days ago. He turned and brought both his blades to the defensive position, just as Graden charged past him hacking viciously with his longsword. Both of the attackers fell back under his fury. Talvin turned when he heard footsteps running behind him, but the tall man wasn't coming towards him, he was running away. Graden took down the bearded man with a vicious chop to the thigh, but the stocky man was already bookin' it down the street into another side alley.
---The two partners looked at each other, guaging each other's wounds. When they saw that they were both doing relatively well considering the uneven battle, Talvin's face split into a grin.
---"Good job lad, but not now." Graden said as he quickly jogged past his younger partner to where the cry for help had come from, Tal was quick to follow.
---"We got ya fella, hang in there... swallow this," Graden said as he knelt, set his sword on the cobblestone and pulled a stopper from a small vial of pale aqua liquid and tilted it into the man's mouth.
Zanillo
Zanillo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Prologue: Talvin Jaeland Empty The Gratitude of Linus

Post  Zanillo Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:22 am

---The man had turned out to be one Linus Berengar. Nobody Graden or Talvin had ever heard of, but who claimed to be great adventurer. He told the guards his story after they got him to the doctor.
---"I was out on one of my escapades. One more dangerous than most, slaying orc raiding parties, you know, to protect the city. So I was looking for their cave, and I found one. I went inside and there were six of the foul beasts! I killed them all and looted the place. Found a fair bit of treasure too, they must have been a very powerful clan, not that I could tell, all orcs are easy prey for me. Anyways, I was celebrating my victory when Cecila cut me off. I was a might bit upset since I had been tippin' her so good, and when I put up a fuss she had me thrown out. Coulda killed the brute who tossed me out but I'm no murderer, I save my blade for the orcs... those damn thieves got away with most of my treasure but I don't carry it all with me. Since you saved me I'll bring by a reward for you after I go home."

---Four days later Captain Jenkins came into the training hall. "Oi! Graden, Talvin! Ye've a guest in the lobby." The partners exchanged looks and followed the Captain out. True enough, there in the Lobby was Linus, and by the smell of him, drunk again... or perhaps still. He stood there wobbily, with both hands behind his back, a ridiculously big smile on his face.
---"Alright boys. Here ya go!" He said and stepped forward revealing his reward.
---In one hand dangled a magnificent shirt of metal links, bearing the sigil's of pelor glinting with true craftmanship. In the other hand, a prestigious scabard inlaid with silver and sapphires, containing a fine sword decorated with the same deity's symbols. Graden's jaw dropped and Talvin chuckled.
---"Thank you!" Replied both men, and Linus waved his hand.
---"Oh it's nothing, compared to saving my life at least." He said and walked out the door, leaving them wondering how much of his story was true.
Zanillo
Zanillo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Prologue: Talvin Jaeland Empty A Vengeful Ambush

Post  Zanillo Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:03 am

---Talvin stood watch in the town square. Market day. All the bustle made a likely scene for pickpocketing and con artists. Who would notice a hand dipping into a pouch among the crowd? Who would spot a fence or someone selling faulty goods among all the stands of the peddlers? 'Me, that's who.' Talvin thought, narrowing his eyes as if everyone was suspect as he walked around the square. He'd been with the guard for almost two months now, and he was able to recognize a decent amount of regulars and even knew a few by name. There was Fred the butcher, Isabelle the chandler, a scribe, a brewer, and someone familiar...
---The footpad! Talvin glanced around for Graden as he started walking towards to stocky individual, who didn't seem to notice him, yet. Until a passing farmer and his horse blocked his path and Talvin cursed when he lost sight of the criminal. 'Oh there he is!' The stocky man was leaving the square down a side street, Talvin quickly followed, pushing his way through the crowd to make up for lost distance. He got to the street just in time to see the mugger walk into an alley, he glanced back at the square for a moment torn between his regular duty and his self-designated 'extra responsibilities'... Graden could watch the square while Tal could track this bastard to his hideout.
---As he turned the corner he walked right into a loaded crossbow pointed directly at his face. "You didn't think we'd let you shake up our territory and get away with it did ya? One dead guard ain't enough to draw ya's a picture?" The stocky bloke sneered as the tall man from glenendale ave and cloaked man also appeared. "You going to come with us quietly or do you think you can best all three of us?"

---Tal's reply came as a drawn blade and a hasty dodge to one side to avoid the crossbow bolt fired inches away from his face. Instantly the cloaked thief threw a dagger which Tal blocked painfully with his forearm, the tall man stepped forward swinging his wooden club in a wide arc which Tal ducked easilly and countered with sloppy thrust from his scimitar and leapt backwards into the street grabbing his guard whistle with his free hand and blowing loudly.
---"Damnit!" The stocky man growled dropping his crossbow to pull a thick studded club from under his shirt and swinging a brutal overhand from Tal's right, which he gracefully sidestepped. The cloaked rogue darted past the others to stand behind and to the left of Tal swiping with another dagger as the tall mugger swung his club backhand. Tal drew his kukri as he dodged both with a spin, swinging both blades at the same time to cut each of the two attacker's arms.
---"Er! Get him!" The stocky man bellowed and rushed forward to grab him, Tal tried to point a blade into him but the attacks were coming too quickly from too many angles. Tal yanked his arm free from the man's furious grasp, luckilly the awkward movement also saved him from another dagger strike from behind.
---Tal winced as the tall man's club cracked a rib through his chainmail shirt and retaliated with a hack to the knee from his smaller blade and hopped backwards out of everyone's immediate range. Again the stocky man came forward trying to grab him by the shirt, this time the point of Tal's sword did make it up in time and sank into the stocky man's gut, who again bellowed, this time in agony and frustration.
---This time even the cloaked one got over-anxious, and as he sprung from behind going for the guard's throat Tal dropped under the slash allowing it to pass harmlessly above his head and then backhanded with his kukri, chopping again into the man's dagger arm.
---The tall man hesitated as he took in the situation. He and Tal's wounds were even, but his two comrades were both wounded more severely. This three on one was not going well even with the handicap, instead of moving in to strike he stepped back and picked up the crossbow.
---Talvin Jaeland was fighting for his life, but he did notice the fear in the tall man, and smiled slightly as he planned to get Stocky to take a bolt in the back. He swung a blade each at his two remaining melee opponents, landing another scimitar slash across Stocky's chest who's torso was now bleeding quite badly.
---Stocky stepped back and drew a bolt from his quiver as he grabbed the crossbow from Tallman, "Give me that! You don't even have any bolts!" He growled shoving his ally towards the guard as he pulled back the bowstring.
---This left Cloak facing Tal one on one, and so he came forward with a feint which Tal fell for, the true strike aimed for his heart was barely deflected by his new chainshirt, "Thank you Linus!" But from behind came Tallman's clubstrike bashing down hard on Tal's shoulder. Tal angrilly turned to face him and drove both blades down at his head, the kukri he managed to avoid but the scimitar crashed home, carving off half his scalp and one ear, causing him to drop to his knees howling.
---As Tallman fell out of the way Stocky and Talvin's eyes met and the guard mouthed. "You're next." Stocky's hand quivered slightly and his shot went wide enough that Tal didn't even try to dodge, but simply turned to face Cloak who was coming in with another feint and stab, both which failed miserably.
---By now a small crowd had gathered to witness the sight, they were speaking and shouting but Tal was too focused on the battle to make out what they were saying. From his knees Tallman swiped his club at Tal's leg, Tal hopped not just over the swing but over the man and slashed at Stocky who managed to get the crossbow between the blade and his already ruined body. Desperately the mugger lashed out trying to smash the stock against the guard's face, but a quick twist of the hips moved him out of harm's way.
---Cloak instead of attacking leapt towards the crowd, yanking a young girl by the arm and holding a dagger to her throat. "Drop the blades Jaeland! And move into the alley! Now!" Talvin turned to see what grounds Cloak had to make such a command at this point of the fight and when he did he sighed in defeat. The girl was quiet but her eyes were tearing. His blades clanked against the cobblestone at his feet and he walked past stocky into the alley, who loaded the crossbow hastilly and prodded Talvin from behind. Cloak tossed the girl down and darted into the alley as well.
---Tallman picked up his ear and stood up, backing into the alley while shaking his club at the crowd. "And nobody follow us! Nobody!" He shouted like a maniac before turning to follow the others... just before Graden and another guard entered the street each pointed a heavy crossbow at Tallman's back. Two bolts hit home and he dropped.
---Cloak, Stocky and Talvin all turned at the sound of the body hitting the ground. Cloak cursed and shanked Talvin in the gut, and shoved him for good measure, Stocky blasted him from pointblank and elbowed him off his feet. Then they ran.
Zanillo
Zanillo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Prologue: Talvin Jaeland Empty Suspension

Post  Zanillo Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:59 am

---"Two of these hooligans in jail, two still free on the streets and one dead. While you were off playing hero, and blowing your whistle, the square was unguarded and it got hit by four others who we think are part of the gang." The Guard Captain debriefed Talvin alone in his office, the disappointment in his voice was obvious, "It was a distraction for god sakes Jaeland, and you fell for it... Do you know how many people are suffering for your neglect? Luckily nobody else was killed, but now I have the Chief wondering what kind of department I'm running here...” Disappointment was shifting towards anger now, “You want to hunt gang members and play vigilante Jaeland? You do it when your not on watch god damn it! Which means you‘ll have plenty of time for that; you're being suspended for four weeks... Dismissed."
---Talvin nodded once and saluted the Captain before walking out, where Graden was already waiting for him.
---"Damnit lad, I'm pretty sure I warned yeh about going off on your own." He said walking in stride with the young man.
---"I know Graden, I'm sorry."
---"No son, you don’t understand.” The older guardsman stopped walking and Talvin paused in his stride and turned to face his mentor. “This gang's been giving us trouble for a time now. They killed my last partner. He was bent on putting the pressure on them just like you. So they followed him home one day, killed him n' his whole family... they left a message to all of us guards. It said that the streets might belong to the guards but the alleys belong to the thieves, and if we were to forget that again, innocent people were going to get hurt.”
---Tal looked Graden in the eye, but he didn‘t have any words to say. The older man clapped a hand on the younger’s shoulder. "It's been hard times, but we do what we can. We push back, but we always put the peoples’ well being first, there is no justice when innocent blood is spilt."
---Talvin disagreed with every fiber of his being. These brutes didn't need to be put in their place. What was needed was them AND their place to be eradicated. Graden could see the tension in the boys eyes.
---"These thieves are people too, doing what they think they have to to survive."
---Talvin stopped at the door, his eyes vacant for a moment as he processed Graden’s words. When he offered a hand out to the older guardsman, his eyes held an intensity in them, "I'll see you again soon Graden. Take good care of yourself.”
---Graden grasped him by the forearm and nodded. As he watched the bandaged youth leave the barracks he hoped that he would see him again. After making a quick and silent request that Pelor watch over his young partner he turned and walked back towards the Captain’s office and stepped inside.
---The Captain looked up from his desk to the veteran guard and the two exchanged silence for a moment before Graden spoke, “You didn’t tell him did you?”
---“No,” the Captain responded, “If he knew it was his father’s orders to have him pulled off the force, I don’t think he would have stood for it, that kid has got more than his share of spirit.”
Zanillo
Zanillo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Prologue: Talvin Jaeland Empty A WALK IN THE MARKET

Post  Zanillo Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:22 am

---Before doing anything else, Talvin Jaeland decided to visit the Temple of Pelor and get some assistance with his injuries. No longer bearing the standard of the city watch or the fancy garb of the wealthy upper class, he would now be seen as just another young man wandering through the market district of Galdon. Growing up in Silverhill, Talvin had always enjoyed the market district for its busyness and diversity of people. The streets here are lined with a number of shops and temples, and there are multiple market squares, each one with its own unique inn and tavern. Plenty of guards patrol this district in an attempt to ensure the safety of everyone. Attempted, because of all it's blustering commerce and adjacency to the slums, the market district of this trade city was also the crime capital of Alaria.
---From a bird's eye view the city would appear to be a roughly hexagonal archery target, with each concentric circle being a district socially divided both by the class of the citizens and physically divided by water canals. In the very center of the city are the Crown Estates, where only the most elite and disproportionately prosperous families reside and rule the city through laws and taxes. This royal center is divided from the upper class not just by the wealth gap and water canals that segregate every district but also by walls guarded by men and spells alike.
---Silver Hill, the upper class district from which the Jaeland family resides, is composed of manors rather than houses, only the finest and most expensive specialty shops and education facilities can be found here, the most reknown being the University of Arcanist Studies. Those who live here are often the owners of the farms and mines surrounding the city, as well as shops, services and sailing vessels that operate within and without of the city. The guards in this district are fewer as the wealthy folk within have privately employed security. They keep the peace by ensuring no riff-raff are allowed to enter, enforcing dress-codes and other measures.
--- The market district is positioned between Silver Hill and the Slums. The Slums is the poorest, dirtiest and most ragged section of town, composed mostly of cheap quality residencies and a few grungy establishments. The slumfolk tend to have a careers as either farmers, fishers, miners, dockhands or thieves. A much smaller portion of the slumfolk are fortunate enough to make a living of some kind in the market district. The guards in this poor distrcit are less about keeping the peace than they are about regulating the docks.
--- Talvin walked among the bustling crowd composed of hawkers calling out their wares, drifting wanderers and fortune-seekers, guards on patrol, laborers fixing streets and signs, servants running errands, buskers playing music, and the occasional con artists playing games and picking pockets. He walked past blacksmiths and farriers, cobblers and tailors, glass blowers and weavers, taverns and pawn shops, bakeries and butcheries, wheelwrights, scribe stations and apothecaries. Finally he reached the Temple of the Shining Sun, the House of Pelor.
--- Outside the temple

Zanillo
Zanillo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Prologue: Talvin Jaeland Empty Re: Prologue: Talvin Jaeland

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum